Sunday, March 20, 2011
Emerging Wireless Technologies Innovation Leader: 4G LTE, M2M, Cognitive Radio
As an indicator of innovation status for emerging wireless communications technologies, patents among US market leaders are researched. To find the key IPR holders, a keyword search of the USPTO patent data base has been performed as of Feb. 28, 2011.
Following emerging wireless technologies are included in the research:
1. LTE-Advanced:It is one of major technology for 4G (IMT-Advanced) under standardization by 3GPP release 10. The key technologies in standard specifications are carrier aggregation, HetNet, Relay, SON, and SU-MIMO.
2. Gigabit WLAN: It is 60 GHz unlicensed band wireless systems, which can carry Gbps of data, enable several new applications: high definition video streaming wireless in real time, high speed wireless gaming, and wireless docking and connection to displays. IEEE 802.11ad was formed in January 2009 to make industry standard for 60 GHz wireless systems as an amendment to the existing IEEE 802.11-2007 (modifications to the 802.11 PHY and the 802.11 MAC).
3. Gognitive radio in TVWS: The technologies for the cognitive radios over TV white space are under standardization by IEEE 802.22 and 802.11af.
4. Zigbee for M2M: ZigBee is a low-cost, low-power, wireless mesh networking standard based on the IEEE 802.15.4-2003 for Wireless Personal Area Networks. Zigbee is one of key enableing technologies for M2M (Machine-to-Machine) applications: smart grids. connected home, building automation, mobile helath, security, and automatic control.
5. NFC: Near field communication is a short-range wireless technology for mobile transaction applications. Industry standard for NFC technology is under development by the NFC Forum.
Among the total of 44 IPR holders, Samsung Electronics is the leader followed by Broadcom, Motorola, Qualcomm, Philips, Nokia, LG Electronics, Intel, STMicroelectonics, and Microsoft.
©2011 TechIPm, LLC All Rights Reserved